Sunday, July 23, 2017

Queen's II: 600 yds (2+10)

We moved progressively left on Century range, from butt 17, to butt 15 to finish on butt 13 (the next to left-most).

This was possibly the most difficult butt, other than 12 to shoot on as one has little warning of wind changes. You can see the angle change fairly clearly but reading the wind here required reading angle, speed, and the general gestalt of the wind - summed as it was down the entire length of the range from firing points to butts.

One of my shooting partners was the famous Scot, Angus McLeod, and he was quite mystified by the wind we were seeing, losing three points downwind. I was reading the wind very well indeed, losing only two points to wind. However, the light was very changeable in late afternoon with a storm coming in and the wind kicking up a lot. Everyone on my target lost 1-3 points for elevation, which was quite unusual for shooters of this quality.

Had I been able to control my elevation I would have come off with a 48 which would have been very creditable. When I handed in my card, the majority of shooters had finished and there were only two 48s and one 49 on the entire range.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home