Sunday, July 23, 2017

Queen's II: 300 yds (2+10)

I pretty much gave away any hope of a progression to QIII with the first three record shots at 300yds.

I don't think I've ever been quite so confused at 300yds by the wind. I started on 3 minutes left wind and was within the bull for the wind (though low). Came up 3/4 minute to level the next shot and took a bit off the wind as I saw it dying and left it a good 1.5 minutes left for the second sighter.

Not quite understanding this, I took off 1.25 minutes and still left it out for an inner 4. Completely flummoxed! True wind was zero and I could see the mirage streaming left to right.

So I put on a 0.5 minutes left and left it out very far right for a magpie 3. Pretty much done from that point of view. I did not see the wind. Corrected wind would have been 2.25 minutes left on the previous shot, so staying inside that limit I put 1.75 minutes left wind on a took a magpie out the other side. At this point, my Queen's II was absolutely toast.

I finally determined that I shouldn't be watching upwind flags as I obviously could not judge the wind angle cleanly from them and started watching a downwind flag (against my training). This worked quite well and my wind management got far better using this method - too late to salvage my Queen's II I thought but I'll give it a solid try to do well.

From this point, I just resolved to hold as well as I could and have fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home