Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Imperial 8: The St. George's (300yds) 2+15

Normally, 300yds is my bread and butter. I hold as well as most of the best, see very well, generally have a good release. I train a lot at 300yds as it is a testing distance, especially on a small ICFRA target center (the target centers here are quite a bit bigger, both in total diameter and the size of the v-bull).

Of course, we have nothing like these winds at home, but that's what makes it a challenge.

I think the mistake I've been carrying forward in this Imperial is that when I changed to my blue action (normally found in my Gemini), I left the sight mounted in the same position as the Gemini. This is at least one notch further forward than it would normally be on the Mastin stock.

I was aware that it was further forward (the sight picture changes) but given that I've been hit by my sight in previous years because it was too close, I decided to continue with it as is. For 90% of the shoots, this is fine. It still allows me a fine line of white around the front sight tunnel (essential for vertical alignment).

Well, the mound in the St. George's yesterday was sufficiently toward one end of the spectrum that I couldn't get a solid sight picture. Or rather, I didn't strain every sinew in my neck to push my head forward to get a proper picture. And I paid dearly for that in my first four shots. As you can see from the below plot, I gave up three points in the first two scoring shots (knocking myself out of advancement) before I realized I had to really, really stretch into the gun.

I did so on subsequent shots and held a lovely elevation but too late to be of any good. Since the cut line was 73/75, I likely wouldn't have made it but I think I would have had a reasonable shot if I just focused on wind and execution rather than straining forward against the rifle.

It appears I continue to have a lot to learn. Nothing to be done about it now other than to go out and do my best today.

My team captain (if I make the Palma squad which right now looks unlikely) gave me a very nice pep talk last night which made me feel a bit better. I hate not shooting to my potential and I think I've made a lot of mistakes here.

Today is the Queen's Final, Stage 1. That's 2 sighters and 7 shots to count at 300, 500, and 600, interrupted by a long-range match at 900yds sometime in the day. Very tiring day if one doesn't manage one's energy. So I'm off for the first shoot (at 300) in about an hour. I get there quite early to watch the wind and talking to shooters coming off the point to find out if there are any tendencies in wind behavior.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home