Monday, July 17, 2017

Taking care of oneself at Bisley

So this is the start of the fourth week of the tour. My left shoulderblade has been quite shore (along with the trapezoid on that side) for a couple of weeks. I think it's the shooting just about every day in either a pair or a triple of shooters. This means one is in position a LOT longer than in American "string-style" shooting, where we lay down, mount the rifle in the shoulder and then fire 20-25 shots without dismounting the rifle.

The huge advantage this has in matches is that one can make the initial read of the wind, correct with your sighters to get into the center of the target, and then just pile on shot after shot very quickly, tracking the hopefully small changes in the wind.

In contrast to that most international shooters have to shoot as a pair or as a threesome. So shooter 1 fires (lying in the right-hand position) and then shooter 3 calls out the score and records it. Then shooter 2 fires (within 45 seconds nominally) and shooter 1 calls out the score and records it. Finally, shooter 3 fires, and shooter 2 calls out the score and records it. If there are no objections during that sequence and the target marking is decent, it is about 3 1/2 to 4 minutes between shots.

So a 15 round shoot (with an additional 2 sighters) will likely take over an hour lying down in position. In the rain, or the broiling sunshine, whilst wearing a heavy leather jacket and sweater. So fitness and hydration are hugely important.

This also, implicitly, requires you as a member of this triple to have to re-read the wind on every shot. The delightful thing about Bisley that the winds on Stickledown (long range) and Century (short range) are fickle and sometimes quite strong. So their strength and direction will change frequently requiring the firing of what is essential a series of "sighters".

Sighters are your initial best guess of the wind value, applied to your first and/or second shots. Once one knows the value, it's not too difficult to keep the bullet hitting the bull. But if you have to read the wind on every shot, that is a true challenge.

But I digress. After several weeks of shooting, my left shoulderblade definitely needed help. I found a young physio student (and coincidentally excellent shooter) working over at the Army Club yesterday and she worked on my shoulderblade for 1/2hr for a fee. Much better afterward. Then, as the evening wore on and I had gone to the Surrey Club after our Canadian Team Reception, one of my friends who is an MD (and massage therapist) also worked on the shoulder. This time for free (I owe him a pint!).

I seem to have more mobility and less pain today (thankfully it hasn't affected my shooting at all - no excuses there).

I do find myself pretty tired but that's the point of long competitions I think. Shooting requires tremendous mental energy. To that end, other than being up last night (I don't start shooting until nearly 12 today), I've been going to bed at very reasonable hours and working to get 6-8 hours sleep every night. Alcohol consumption is very low, averaging 1-2 drinks per day maximum - and lots of water.

It's two hours until my next competition (2+ 15 rounds at 300yds) so I think I'm going to give my rifle a very light cleaning and head out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home